Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A Year Long Transformation


A Year Long Transformation



These last few weeks have been an absolute whirlwind.  Let me give you a taste of what I experienced:

·      May 15-19 Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic  Senior Pan American Championships
·      May 25-28  Overland Park, Kansas   USAW Senior Nationals
·      May 31-June 2nd Canon Falls, MN  my daughter graduated high school
·      June 6-June 10th  Cali, Colombia Youth Pan American Championships
·      June 15-17th Grand Rapids, MI Youth National Championships (Coach McCauley attended without me)


Yes you are reading that right.  There were four major events in a one-month period.  I think that USA Weightlifting is trying to get my wife to leave me.  We accomplished so much during this time.  This blog isn’t about making meet recaps, but I will give you a few highlights.  My four favorites are:

1.  Nathan Damron won his first Senior National Championship.
2.  Hunter Elam took Bronze overall at the Senior National Championships showing a glimmer of her capability.
3.  Ryan Grimsland went 6:6 at his first International Competition and lifted all lifetime PRs.
4.  Morgan McCullough won Gold Overall at the Youth Pan American Championships at 14-years-old.
5.  14-year-old Hannah Dunn swept Silver at Youth Nationals.
6.  Kam (10-years-old) and Lilla (9-years-old) both went 5:6 at their first Youth Nationals.
7.  Of course I am proud of all my International Athletes Jordan Cantrell, Nathan Damron, Ryan Grimsland, Jared Flaming, and Morgan McCullough.




There is a lot more to talk about with the performances of our athletes, but that’s not the point of this blog.  With all the medals and top performances, there was something that made all of this much sweeter and completely worth it, and that was the way we have all grown together as a team.  We were at team practice on Saturday, and we were stopping to watch Lilla and Kam Bam crush it at Youth Nationals.  We supported each other every step of the way.

There has been zero gossip.  There has been zero drama.  The gym is my home away from home once again, and I am so thankful for that.  Hunter Elam said that when she thinks about our gym from two-years ago, her stomach starts to hurt.  I totally agree.  Never again!

So why am I writing this blog?  I am not writing this blog to brag about how amazing our team is.  Well maybe I am a little.  I am pretty dang proud.  However, I am writing this article to teach all of you a thing or two.  This is for all of you that either have a club or want to start a club.  This is more for people that have weightlifting or powerlifting clubs, but it could apply to general populations as well.

Let’s get started teaching!

1.  One bad apple can ruin a bunch! My man Coach Waxman warned me of this one about a year ago, and he was so right.  Without naming any names, I will just tell you that one person isn’t worth sacrificing an entire team over no matter how good he or she is.  This can be a difficult situation.  I am the first one to get it.  As coaches we are still competitive creatures.  We want to win.  Therefore when we have winners, it’s tough as heck to let go of them.

However, let me remind you of one important thing.  Once you demonstrate to the weightlifting world that you as a coach can produce champions, there will always be another champion.  In the last couple of years, we’ve had three champions come and go, but the ones that are in our gym now are by far the most talented.  The best part is that the gym is a fun place to be now, which brings me to number 2.

2.  Formulate a culture of support and family! It really starts with the coach.  How do you treat the team as a whole? I have worked on this over the last year, and I am improving steadily.  I support all of my athletes.  I take my time to personalize each of their programs.  I celebrate each of their victories, and encourage them to do the same for each other.

The sports of weightlifting and powerlifting are too grueling and monotonous to have gossiping and selfish teammates.  A good culture will produce champions much faster than a good coach.  Yes, I am admitting that environment trumps coaching.  Here’s why.  If a gym or training hall is filled with selfish people that bicker and gossip all of the time, it doesn’t matter how good the coach is.  An athlete will never thrive in an environment like that. 

We have guests all the time that come to Max Out Friday, and normally they set personal records. Now is that because Don or I gave them some miracle cue or coaching correction that led to them lifting more weight?  Possibly, but more likely it was the fact that they are in a gym filled with cartoon characters lifting small cars above their heads.  I mean when you see Nathan Damron Clean 215kg, suddenly your 160kg doesn’t appear to be so daunting anymore.  My high school football players come in the gym and witness multiple girls Clean & Jerking over 120kg/264lb, so their 100kg/220lb appears easy.  That’s the real magic of places like Mash Elite, Cal Strength, or Westside Barbell in the powerlifting world. 

3. Create a Community- If you want a team filled with champions supporting one another, you have to find ways to hang out outside of the gym.  We are getting better at that with the help of our gym mom, Crystal McCullough.  Our gym has shifted so much in just over a year, and this has been a big reason for the transformation.  Now it’s common to see Nathan Damron and Jordan Cantrell reaching out to the younger lifters, encouraging them, and offering guidance.  The young lifters are convinced that Jordan and Nathan are the greatest lifters of all-time.  Hunter is the cheerleader for our younger girls team, and they adore her.  You can ignore this if you want, but this is the reason for our amazing strides as a team in the last year.


 The Mash Boys


We are set to go to the AO Series 2 in Pennsylvania in six weeks.  We are taking a squad, and I am so pumped to roll with my team.  Yeah I am excited watch them crush the competition and set some American Records, but more importantly I am excited to hang out with all of them.  I am excited to watch them support one another.

God has given this team to me. In that I have no doubts. The way that I love my team is the way that I show them a glimpse of God’s love.  No matter what your job is, if you are a believer in Christ, your attitude is the way that God is glorified or not with the work that he has granted you.  When you think of it like that, suddenly your job is a lot more than just a job.  These are just a few of my thoughts on this beautiful Tuesday morning.

Thanks for reading,

Trav

P.S. If you would like to help me support this 501c3 nonprofit or you just want to find out more, go to: 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Travis. I appreciate your transparency and willingness to share from your experiences, as a young coach, I also have seen the power of culture at work! I need to plan a small gym outing with the group of men I coach. I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing this culture first hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit! We would love to host you and your group.

      Delete