Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Growth of American Weightlifting


The Growth of American Weightlifting

  


A few days ago USA Weightlifting rolled out their brand new scholarship program. At that point, I slowed down for a minute to realize just how far that we have come as a National Governing Body while under the leadership of Phil Andrews. I remember writing articles when I was with MuscleDriver USA circa 2015 suggesting what America needed to do to become competitive on the International level. I listed things like more money for athletes, sports medicine, sports psychology, more exposure to the general public, recruiting, and a scholarship program. These things seemed like decades away, but they were something to strive for.

You might not like Phil Andrews for whatever personal reason, but you sure can’t deny what he’s accomplished as the CEO for USA Weightlifting. He’s done more in his few short years as the top guy than the entire prior years combined. Do you know what it does for coaches like me to look parents in the eye and tell them that there are scholarships available? I just recruited the newest member to the Mash Mafia, who I will announce to all of you at a later date, and I was able to tell her father that scholarships are available to the top athletes (she will get one of these and a lot more). It made the whole process so much easier.

Thanks to people like Phil, Mike Gattone, and Pyrros Dimas, the mindset has changed. We are medaling during International competitions because the people at the top are expecting medals. No one cares about making the World Team or American Records anymore. We are finally starting to talk about Gold Medals at the World Championships and Olympic Games, and we are starting to take peaks at the World Records and Olympic Records. Athletes like Harrison Maurus and CJ Cummings are lifting world records in the Youth and Junior Age Groups, which sends a message to the world of things yet to come.



This scholarship program allows me to recruit local athletes and athletes from around the country to my facility to train with some of the best athletes in the country, and all the while they can pursue a higher education at any of the amazing Universities near our facility like High Point University, Wake Forest University or UNC Greensboro. This new program completely changes the dynamics of my recruiting strategy.

I have tried for years to start a scholarship program with local colleges, but the red tape is simply too thick to unwind for me. I am one person trying to do everything for this team, so trying to find my way through the bureaucracy of a University is simply too daunting. Now I don’t have to. Now there is a University Scholarship Program wherever there is a great coach and University in the same town.

There have been a few programs throughout the US for quite some time at schools like ETSU, Lindenwood, and Northern Michigan University. Here’s the big problem with athletes going to these schools. If an athlete is successful with a coach and a certain program, it’s difficult for them to start up with a whole new program, coach, and culture. This is not a knock on the University Programs at all. I am sure that the programs are awesome. It’s just that athletes get used to a certain coaching style, a certain program, and definitely a certain culture. There haven’t been a lot of amazing results at these schools, but this is probably why. I know the new coach at NMU, and I am sure that he’s going to kill it. However, my athletes are training with 4 Senior World Team Members, 4 Youth Pan American Team Members, and about 4 others that are about to make a team. That’s like training at an Olympic Training Center, but with a more fun and exciting atmosphere. It’s simply hard to beat our training environment.



Think about it for just a second, would you really want to peal Harrison Maurus away from Coach Kevin Simons, or CJ Cummings from Coach Ray Jones? Heck no! Now thanks to people like Phil Andrews, athletes can stay in their home gym during their college years, and they can continue to flourish. This also gives coaches ammunition to recruit locally. If you’re a weightlifting coach, there has never been a better time to recruit.

Now you can go to parents with more perks than a lot of popular sports like football, basketball, and baseball. Think about the perks of USA Weightlifting:

·      New Scholarship Program
·      Stipends and Sponsorships
·      Weight Classes so athletes can’t be too big or too small
·      Team USA
·      Travel around the world for free
·      Sports Medicine
·      Sports Psych
·      Weightlifting is complimentary to other sports
·      Low Risk of Injury
·      Of course the OLYMPICS!


There might not be the dream of making millions in the NFL, but I can promise that CJ Cummings, Harrison Maurus, and Mattie Rogers aren’t poor by any means. Our athletes are making thousands of dollars per month, and they are going to have their brains intact when they retire unlike many football players. I love the sport of football. It was my first love for sure, but I hope and pray that my sons don’t play. Yes, I’m a sissy father. You can call me what you want, but I just read another article about a high school football player in Georgia dying from a brain injury sustained during a football game. There are over 13 deaths every year related to football. Are you reading that statistic and understanding what that means? That’s one death in 25% of every state in America. That scares me to death, and you can call me what you want.

Personally I’d rather my sons and daughters travel the world wearing the red, white, and blue. This is the father-side of me talking. I still love my football players. I am going to watch one of my athletes play college football tomorrow, and I am going to go crazy in the stands. I am simply giving you the facts. If you look up the statistics of injuries, weightlifting is easily the lowest risk sport. You can check out this popular study and see for yourself: Weightlifting versus other sports Risk of Injury.


All of this is exciting for our local team. We are projecting 4-6 Senior Team USA Athletes, 4 Junior Team USA Athletes, and 4 Youth Team USA Athletes for next year. This news makes it easier to raise money for 501c3 that I set up for our team. I have the same vision as Phil in the fact that I want to provide as much for my athletes as possible. I want to support their Olympic Dreams, so that I can directly affect the future of the sport that I love so much.

We can all just sit back and watch Phil do all the work, or we can work as one big team to help USA Weightlifting flourish. I plan on doing my part by recruiting new talent, providing those athletes with as much assistance as I can, and coaching them on a daily basis.

However, I need help like my 501c3 not for profit businesses. I am a one-man show, and all the funds that we receive from our amazing sponsors (Intek Strength, Harbinger, WodFitters, Nike Weightlifting, and MG12) go directly to our athletes. That means that I don’t have extra funds to pay people. However, I need volunteers in the following places:

·      Grant Writers

·      Recruiting New Sponsors

·      Event Planner for Fundraising Events
·      Content Contributors
·      At-Risk Program Coordinator
·      Videographer
·      Video Editor

I’d love for these positions to be paid positions, but right now there are no extra funds. If someone did a good job in any of these areas, there would be more funds to pay for that position. I’d love to hire a full-time person for each of these positions, but we have to raise some money first. Right now we need some really good people to help out a team that is lighting the weightlifting world on fire.

In case you’re wondering what we need the funds for, here are a few reasons:

·      Travel for the Team to National Events
·      More stipend money for our athletes to have less burden, so they can focus on obtaining their goals
·      Sports Medicine for the athletes not on the Senior World Team (USA Weightlifting provides this service for the Senior World Team Members)
·      Marketing our Team and Sport to local and National people unaware of the sport of Olympic Weightlifting (this is to create awareness and bring the sport alive)
·      Provide Scholarships for my athletes (the amount not covered by USA Weightlifting)
·      Recruiting new athletes to our team (travel, marketing, etc.)
·      Growing our At Risk Program within our local community. We mainly need a full-time coordinator to grow and nurture the program.

Right now, our team is still mainly supported by Mash Elite Performance, which is my for profit business. Mash Elite Performance will of course always support Team Mash Mafia, but we are tapped out as far as the monthly investment. Now we need help from the people that enjoy watching our team succeed, and that love watching the smiles on the faces of our young athletes as they experience their body’s unlimited capabilities.



I know that we can grow a weightlifting legacy right here in North Carolina. We’ve already done that. I just want to grow something special of which the likes has never been seen in this country. I want to start a program that will make America fall in love with Weightlifting. Is this a big dream? Of course it is, but then again would you have believed that in four short years I would have 20% of the Team USA Athletes in America? I dream big, but I deliver on those dreams.

If you want to help with the following positions:

·      Grant Writers

·      Recruiting New Sponsors
·      Event Planner for Fundraising Events
·      Content Contributors
·      At-Risk Program Coordinator
·      Videographer
·      Video Editor



If you want to help support this Team, we have several options that you can check out right here:

Support Team Mash Elite


If you are interested in sponsoring our team, please email me at:



Thank all of you so much for reading my blog and following this team. Of course anytime that you buy anything from www.mashelite.com a portion of your purchase goes to our team, so thank all of you that frequent that site. Thanks Phil Andrews and the entire team at USA Weightlifting for helping to make Weightlifting great in America.

1 comment: